Monday, January 11, 2010

A Day of Adventure in NYC, Part 2: Cupcakes


Time to head back towards the airport...Yikes! Getting to the museum, I was less nervous than trying to make it back "on time" to fly home. (Back to the consideration that listing for the LAST flight of the day was not the smartest idea...) And why do things look so different on the return trip than they did starting out? Clearly, I've been hanging out with horses too much, since they often spook at the same item that was FINE in passing it the first time from a different direction. In fact, "spook" might be a good word choice for me here? hmph. Again, I pulled out the "Airline Smile" and tried to show how relaxed I was about the whole thing. I mean, why rumple a wonderful day? Interesting observation: all of the friendly morning-shift MTA workers had evidently gone home to be replaced by the bitter-let's-mess-with-the-tourists crew. On three different occasions of us asking for directions/help, we came upon workers who were yelling and griping (to put it nicely) to other workers in the booths, with the outside speakers turned on..."Ummm, excuse me? Can you help direct us to the train we take to head back to JFK?" Three times we were directed exactly opposite of the way we needed to go. But Parker and I embraced our subway time; he even almost beat out a wily little man for a seat on the train...but the wily little man was faster. And more than a little competitive. Parker seemed to take this as a challenge: he can be quick and wily, too. Look out subway riders! This is like a video game where quick reflexes and a little butt can be helpful.  I believe, given another day in the city, that his street-smarts could really blossom! huh


This side of the ride had included a much different mix of folks: rowdy foul-mouthed "kids" on their way home from school (I hoped). The shadows of the afternoon were longer and the subway passengers seemed a little shadowier, too. I was no longer hearing a little old black man softly singing spirituals. No longer marveling at the orchestral mix of languages from around the globe. No longer fascinated by the hats. It seemed more people were looking out of their eyes sideways. The tension on the trains was palpable. Was I just tired? Was this the beginning of Rush Hour? I was ready to be finished with this part of the trip. I could tell Parker was getting tired, too. What seemed like an eternity later, and about $20 extra in subway fees, Parker and I arrived at the Jamaica Station. JFK was now in sight! Yay! And on time! Double-yay! I guess I can stop holding my breath now...Oh! Yes, I was holding my breath. Oops, didn't even realize it until I stopped.

But enough about subways...There was more to this trip that would mark it in my memory; much more. Parker and I checked in for the flight and was assured we would get on. Woohoo! (and whew!) He hadn't wanted to eat earlier in the day (not even the famous NY Hot dog...) but after we were "safe" in the airport, he decided pizza sounded good. Ten dollar pizza. rrrrrr. Airport food prices always irritate me. But hey; it's part of the package, right? By this point in  the day, I was really looking forward to a "beverage" during our 3-hour wait. Three hours? Boring? NO WAY! Anyone who has ever spent any time sitting in an airport, particularly an international airport, knows this can be some of THE BEST people-watching anywhere...

And JFK was not to disappoint...


While we munched our pizza (which became more appealing as I watched Parker eat), we watched a large group of Orthodox Jewish gentlemen moving about the concourse. We soon discovered it must be time for evening prayers? The group congregated at a gate set to depart for Zurich. How exotic! This IS the Big Wide World, I thought. Suddenly the group of men began to nod. And bob. And pray. Over and over again. More bobbing. For a long time. Have you ever tried to look cool and non-plussed while fascinated AND in the company of an almost 13-year old boy!? "Parker! Don't stare!" (I'm staring too. Just sneakier.) "Parker! You can't laugh!" (I'm trying not to laugh, which is making it harder.) "Parker, for God's sake, DO NOT bob your head!!!" (I'm going to go to Parenting Jail, because this IS pretty damn funny.) Now I'm thinking I'm the 12-year-old boy...Great modeling, Mom! Another jewel for your Mother of the Year crown! (My but this giggling is fun...) Note to self: learn and teach about World Religion in addition to Art History. This might be an appropriate time to mention that although I consider myself a spiritual person, I have moved far away from the traditional religious observances of my upbringing. I have been raising my children up more in the way I now believe, than in any traditional practice or structured belief system...


So Mama wants a Mike's. I really enjoy my sissy Mike's Hard Lemonade, and how refreshing would one be right now...We were right by a Buffalo Wild Wings. They have my Mike's. Parker and I joked that was my evening prayer: Mama wants a Mike's. And they had sports on TV: perfect to kill time for Parker! So we went to get a table in the packed restaurant, and were introduced to our server. She spoke little-to-no English. huh. Good thing I have a Spanish degree...(not so much). After much explaining and pointing to the menu, Parker and I decided that I would most likely be getting a regular lemonade without ice. Bummer. Not my evening prayer request! So I got the waitress to stop before she ran away, and asked (by pointing to the menu) for a Sangria instead. Okay. I like sangria. And a little bit out of the ordinary. Fun!

Sangria came. Sangria went. Yum. Bill came. FOURTEEN DOLLARS!?!? ugh. It wasn't that good...Damn. On our way out of the restaurant, I made a comment to a couple of guys at the next table (who I noticed were also having difficulties with this restaurant and server) that they should stick with the Sprite, as I just paid $14 for my sangria. They laughed and thanked us. Parker and I went to the gate to wait...


Now earlier, I had been trying to figure out why the Orthodox gentlemen had chosen the Zurich gate for their prayers. Empty with space available for a larger group? Facing a certain direction? I had no idea. So now Parker and I are across the concourse from that gate waiting to go to Minneapolis. Here comes the large group of men. Now, maybe an hour later, they're praying at this gate, which is crowded and facing the opposite direction. So much for my theories. And they didn't seem to be going to Minneapolis either. huh. AND hats! More hats to add to our collection today....flat ones. Curved-top ones. Furry ones. Not all with the curls on the sides, but 90%. (Parker: "I think those are attached to the hats." Me: "No, I think they're attached to their heads." "How do they get those? Do they use little curling irons?") Please note: no disrespect intended! Only curiosity and needed education....

It's getting close to our departure time. We didn't have seat assignments yet, but the gate agent told us we'd be able to get on. That was all I really cared about. Good deal. While we were waiting, the two gentlemen from the restaurant came over to us and thanked us for the tip at BWW. We laughed and exchanged pleasantries. Turns out they were in NYC for a day trip also, and were from the Twin Cities. Here's where the day developed another amazing facet...

Jon and Darin had been in New York for treatment for Jon's cancer. His wife was unable to join him that day, so Darin stepped up as his support and buddy. The two had come in at the same time as we had, and had crammed an astounding amount of fun on top of  their business for the day. These guys were SO nice and SO fun to talk to...their friendship and excitement were contagious. Parker and I both felt an immediate "click" with these men while we compared notes about our day. What fun! One of my greatest joys in life, as I've said, is to meet people and to hear their stories. Some of the greatest blessings in my life have come from encounters just like this one; to share this kind of experience with my son was such a GIFT! As passengers were called to the podium for last-minute check-ins and seat assignments Parker and I commented on how neat these guys were and what an amazing day this had been. We decided there are many more New York Day Adventures awaiting us. Soon Parker and I were called up and were delighted to find we had been assigned seats in First Class! This would be Parker's first time! Cool! Could this day have been any better? Well, as it turns out: Yes. Yes it could.


Parker and I continued to sit and reflect on our adventure: the people, the sights, the new skills we'd discovered we had...I think we stuffed about three days of adventure into one. Well done, I thought. During our reflection, we discussed the neat new friends we had met in Jon and Darin. We had asked them where they were sitting, and had decided that it would be a really nice thing to do to give them our seats in First Class. Jon was assigned a seat there already, but Darin was back in Row 5. I have to take a moment to beam here: How cool is it to discover your (adolescent) child is willing and wanting to give up such a prize as a (first time) First Class seat for someone he just met? This was such a powerful moment for me, I almost cried with joy. (I know I'm sappy, but it's how I feel). We told Jon and Darin what we wanted to do and they were so appreciative and sweet about it, it was WAY more exciting than sitting up there ourselves. I could see that Parker felt it too. Now, I have come to believe in karma over the years, and since Jon had a seat in First Class, it worked out for Parker to still sit in First Class in Jon's seat. Jon and Darin could relax in our seats together, while I sat in Row 5 and almost cried with joy and gratitude for the whole day. Although I have many, many joy-filled moments in my life, this was unquestionably one of The Best Ever. Life is SO good!


Parker and I continued to visit with Jon and Darin throughout the flight, discovering other things we had in common with them. Kids. Horses. Senses of humor. Jon and Darin had visited the famous Crumbs Bakery (famous for The World's Best Cupcakes) during their day and  they were taking a couple of boxes home to their families. They gave us a box as a "thank you" gift (which was SO  not necessary, but REALLY enjoyed!) While we visited with our new friends, I could see the lights come on in Parker's eyes (and it wasn't the cupcakes!) This, I thought, is one of the things I want Parker to feel in Life. This is one of the Great Treasures in living that I want to pass on to him. And to his sister. This is the kind of legacy I want to leave in and for my children: People can be good. And different. And mysterious. And generous. Don't walk through Life afraid. Laugh. Give. Giggle. And eat cupcakes. Cupcakes with new friends. Thank you Jon and Darin. Thank you for an Amazing Adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim, I had to smile when I read your comment about "a large group of Orthodox Jewish gentlemen moving about the concourse." For a moment I wondered which airport you were visiting, but then upon reading further it does fit. Then I read the part about Parker's observation where "the group of men began to nod. And bob. And pray. Over and over again. More bobbing." Must admit that I cracked up laughing, for I can recall my own young experiences when I first saw a group of elderly men doing that in Brooklyn; it's called davening from the Yiddish davnen (to pray), and are are the prayer recitations that form part of the observance of Judaism. These prayers, often with instructions and commentary, are found in the siddur, the traditional Jewish prayer book.

And no, I'm not Jewish, just a middle of the road lapsed Protestant who had a wonderful grandfather, a physician with a practice in Brooklyn, so he knew and respected these things. He taught me to respect and enjoy the beliefs of others at a young age.

So when I read how you "tried to look cool and non-plussed while fascinated AND in the company of an almost 13-year old boy," I cracked up, knowing how my grandfather probably felt.

"'Parker! Don't stare!' (I'm staring too. Just sneakier.) 'Parker! You can't laugh!' (I'm trying not to laugh, which is making it harder.) 'Parker, for God's sake, DO NOT bob your head!!!' (I'm going to go to Parenting Jail, because this IS pretty damn funny.) Now I'm thinking I'm the 12-year-old boy...Great modeling, Mom! Another jewel for your Mother of the Year crown! (My but this giggling is fun...) Note to self: learn and teach about World Religion in addition to Art History." This passage was beautiful, and had me smiling and as a parent of a 13-year-old, could live vicariously through your experiences.

And so, Kim, before I bore you with any further commentary on how splendid and enjoyable your "Amazing Adventure" was, let me say that you should be doing this on a daily basis. Thank you for your delightful words, and for sharing them with us here!